@Mark: applause.  A nice pedagogical exercise, and your step-by-step
approach --- so reminiscent of HTDP --- was very effective.

Your final solution reminds me of an undergraduate data structures and
algorithms final I took (too) many years ago on which, after weeks of
doing recursive sorts and traversals, the professor asked us to walk a
tree with three pointer variables and a loop.  As an old (ancient,
really) lisp lover who's just discovered Clojure, this thread feels
like a great intro to what's the same and what's different.  Thanks!