The new version of Clojure in Small Pieces is up at:

http://daly.axiom-developer.org/clojure.pdf
http://daly.axiom-developer.org/clojure.pamphlet
http://daly.axiom-developer.org/clojure.sty

This version of the literate document contains a
complete, working system. The steps for building
it are in the preface.

Essentially you compile the tangle function from
the document (or use the same source code here:
http://daly.axiom-developer.org/tangle.c )

Then you run tangle to extract the Makefile.
Then you type make.

Or, for the programmers:

1) edit the file, clip out and save tangle.c
2) gcc -o tangle tangle.c
3) tangle clojure.pamphlet Makefile >Makefile
4) make

It should extract the sources, build Clojure,
test it, build the pdf, and leave you at a
REPL prompt.

The source tree lives under the 'tpd' directory.
You can put it anywhere with an argument to make, e.g.

4) make WHERE=myplace

This means that you only need the latex document
to develop (resist the urge to edit the other
files).

Now the problem is to write the ideas and connect
them to the code. I started doing this for the
Red Black tree idea and PersistentTreeMap. Feel
free to pick an idea (or suggest one) and work
out the details.

I urge you to try the edit/build cycle using
literate tools as a possible different way to
work. My usual command line after every change is:

rm -rf tpd && tangle clojure.pamphlet Makefile >Makefile && make

A complete rebuild from scratch takes less than a
minute on a fast machine.

Tim