On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Stuart Halloway
<stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All the code you are referring to is in clojure.contrib. Note the comment at
> the top of the files:
>
> ;; DEPRECATED in 1.2: Promoted to clojure.java.shell

At the top of which files? If you mean the library's source code, it's
very likely he didn't read a single line of it -- just installed the
contrib jar along with Clojure and then :required or :used it.

If something people have been using in version x is deprecated in
later version y, this needs to be announced somewhere more prominently
than in its source code, like, oh, say, the main documentation page.
Better yet, the compiler should say something -- javac emits warnings
if you call a method marked deprecated with Javadoc; maybe we need a
{:deprecated true} meta tag that can be used on defns and that makes
clojure emit warnings when deprecated functions are called? (These can
be printlns to stderr in the same vein as the warnings generated by
(set! *warn-on-reflection* true).)