I just watched about 10 minutes leading up to the comment Arie flagged and it
seems to me that Kurzweil is actually describing something very much like
Hawkins's HTM model *at* a certain level of abstraction. He makes some other
interesting comments about Lisp that might strike some here as bizarre but make
sense to me in context of the Lisp & AI knowledge representation world of the
70s and 80s.

 -Lee

On Jan 6, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Michael Aldred wrote:

> G'day Arie,
>
> You have to be very careful about listening to things Ray Kurzweil
> says when he's talking about the brain, etc.
>
> I would think it would be better to listen to someone actually
> conducting brain/AI research, for example, Jeff Hawkins.  His company
> Numenta seems to be making great progress with HTM which he outlined
> in his book 'On Intelligence'.
>
> Papers are also available on numenta.com
>
> Now I'm really not top notch on my computer science/math and AI, but
> from what I understand of HTM, which is based off the biological
> structure of the brain, I think that saying the brain is like a LISP
> processor doesn't make sense.  But of course I haven't watched the
> video, so he may explain his reasoning.  But without a bigger context
> I'm very doubtful of such statements.
>
> Thanks for the link though, I will look at it later.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Jan 6, 7:45 pm, Arie van Wingerden <xapw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on this
>> pagehttp://singularityhub.com/2010/12/21/ray-kurzweil-the-mind-and-how-to...
>> you
>> can find a video in which Ray Kurzweil speaks about the "reverse
>> engineering" of the human brain.
>>
>> At 39:25 Ray states that "... the cerebral cortex is a Lisp processor." and
>> explains that later.
>>
>> Maybe it is off topic, but I think it may be very interesting to a lot of
>> you.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>    Arie

Cognitive Science, Hampshire College