On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Bob Hutchison <hutch-li...@recursive.ca> wrote:
> Numerical correctness, for some of us, is an overwhelming issue. This is
> purely from experience... bad experience... 30+ years of bad experience in my
> case :-) From my point of view, the approach Clojure is taking isn't
> persuasive, not to say it couldn't be made persuasive.

Under the current proposal, you should never get an incorrect answer.
You might get an error, though.  It's a subtle difference, but this is
the main reason why the developers don't see it as a "correctness
issue".  If your program runs, and gives you back an answer, it will
be correct.  If it crashes, you convert to the overflow version of
arithmetic, or typecast some of your numbers to bigints, and you'll
get the right answer.  I think a lot of the argument from both sides
boils down to how much you fear runtime crashes.