Back in January I found myself writing some gen-class to connect my
Clojure library to my Java project. Until now I'd been spoiled by
Clojure's dynamic, interactive nature, so running up against the whole
"stub class signature can't change w/out jvm reboot" thing hurt a bit.

I found a partial solution via JRebel, but it only worked with
invocations lacking type information and compiled to use reflection.
It failed on any invocation with enough type information present in
the sexpr to use invokevirtual. I actually met Jevgeni (CTO of ZT)
last week and he mentioned he might have some of their guys take a
look at the problem. Lo and behold, their latest nightly build fixes
the issue and it now seems that everything is working.

Here's how to set it up: http://blog.robert-campbell.com/post/2760935713

The company behind JRebel, ZeroTurnaround, gives out free licenses to
OSS and Scala developers. When I spoke with Jevgeni he seemed open to
the idea of adding Clojure development to that list provided there was
enough demand. While gen-class is a relatively rare/minor part of most
Clojure development, I think this tool allows us to smooth out one
rough patch in the dev experience.