I just ran into an interesting problem installing the Clojure-CLR 1.3
alpha
(https://github.com/downloads/richhickey/clojure-clr/clojure-clr-1.3.0-alpha1-debug-4.0.zip)
on an XP machine with .Net 4.0 installed. Downloading and unzipping
the .zip file, then running Clojure.Main.exe at a command-line prompt,
yielded the following exception:

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type
initializer for 'Clojure.CljMain' threw an exception. --->
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
'clojure.lang.RT' threw an exception. --->
System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly
from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be
sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of
the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load
may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the
assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

At that link, I found the following text which gave me a clue as to
how to solve this: "If an application has been copied from the Web, it
is flagged by Windows as being a Web application, even if it resides
on the local computer. You can change that designation by changing the
file properties, or you can use the <loadFromRemoteSources> element to
grant the assembly full trust."

The problem, restated, was that the .zip file was flagged when I
downloaded it as coming from a remote source, and thus when I unzipped
it, all the files inside were flagged likewise. The simplest solution
was to right-click the .zip file *before* unzipping it, and in the
Properties dialog, click the "Unblock" button at the bottom of the
dialog. Then all the files in the .zip were considered clean by
Windows and I didn't have to unblock each file individually. (There
may be a command-line method to unblocking files in Windows, but I
don't know what it is; I spend most of my time in Linux).

It might be worth updating the wiki page
(https://github.com/richhickey/clojure-clr/wiki/Getting-started-binary-distribution)
to note that one extra step is required between downloading and
unzipping if you're running the .Net 4.0 version of Clojure-CLR.

--
Robin Munn
robin.m...@gmail.com