With a little practice and/or tools, you'll find you rarely have to
find the right position. Rainbow-parens is one option, which makes
matching parens the same color; one that I use more often is C-M-f,
which moves from the start of a sexp to its end. So if you want to put
something at the end of a (let [a b] ...) form, you can put point on
the (, C-M-f, C-b (to move before the close paren), and start writing.

I haven't read your code, and I'm sure Ken's suggestions are as good
as they usually are, but I have a suggestion you might find
interesting.

(let [reader (reader blah)
      writer (writer blah)]
  ...)

Could be rewritten as

(let [[reader writer] ((juxt reader writer) blah)]
  ...)

if you were so inclined. Whether it's better is a matter of taste, but
it's a nice sample of the kinds of neat things you can do with
Clojure.