I know in the past there's been interest in the Clojure community in
participating in Google's Summer of Code program. LispNYC has been a
mentoring organization for SoC a number of times, and though we missed the
last couple of years, we're gearing up to participate again in 2011. Right
now we're looking for project ideas and I want to make sure that the Clojure
community is involved.

For those not familiar with this program, each year since 2005 Google has
sponsored students from all over the world to work on open source software
during their summer break. Rather than work directly with Google however,
students work with a mentoring organization, like LispNYC. Students give
their project proposals to us, we rank them, and Google grants us funding
for the top n projects, where n is a number decided by Google. The program's
primary goal is to get students involved with open source, and I can think
of few projects more apt for this purpose than Clojure.

I'm making a personal appeal to the Clojure community for project ideas
because I think it's an ideal place for a young developer to get introduced
to the open source and lisp communities. The Clojure community is one of the
friendliest and welcoming of these kinds of groups. Furthermore, the state
of Clojure as a rapidly maturing but still quite young platform means more
opportunity for students to make a substantial contribution they can be
proud of.

We're interested in project ideas of all types: fun projects and practical
projects; projects for Clojure newbies and projects for Clojure mavens. Is
there a library you wish existed for Clojure? Support missing for your
favorite IDE? A feature that's been missing from your favorite Clojure
project? Or maybe if you hack on clojure.core you have ideas for projects
that involve changes to the language itself. Whatever your idea is, we want
to hear it.

You may be wondering why I'm talking about a summer program in February; the
answer is that the organization application period is the first week in
March. If you'd like to contribute a project idea, please use the form at
http://lispnyc.org/soc/idea. If you have any questions, please participate
in the discussion on our mailing list (
http://www.lispnyc.org:8080/mailman/listinfo/summeroflisp-discuss/) or in
#summeroflisp on freenode. We're also starting to look for mentors, so if
you're interested in that, please let me know.

Thanks, and here's looking forward to a great summer.

/brian