Yes, I think if you dig down into the Compiler.java code (that's where
I assume this issue comes from) you'll probably find your answer.

Recently in a blog entry Eric Lippert (one of the developers of C#)
handled this exact subject. There are some 'bugs' in languages that
exist, not because the developers don't know that they exist, but
because actually reproducing the bug results in code that would never
be used in production code. Sure this could be viewed as a bug, but
who cares?

Timothy