For interop I write interfaces in Java. This way I can provide type-
specific signatures, constants, javadocs and generics; then implement
them all in Clojure. I also write exception classes in Java for use in
Clojure since I find it simpler and cleaner than gen-class. You don't
have to give up anyting for the sake of interop, but perhaps you won't
write 100% Clojure.