On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:28:38 PM UTC-4, Mike Meyer wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
> David Jacobs <deve...@allthingsprogress.com> wrote:
>
> > What's the status on this? One of the reasons I don't use Clojure
> everyday,
> > much as I like it, is that I want it to integrate seamlessly with Unix
> for
> > scripting.
>
> Um, I've been using it with shebang scripts for a while now. You've
> got to do the usual interpreted interpreter double-script dance,
> though:

clj |hkubuntu:~$ echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env clj\n(println "hello")' > go
kubuntu:~$ chmod +x go
kubuntu:~$ ./go
hello
kubuntu:~$ </dev/null clj |head
Clojure 1.2.0

> Performance pretty much sucks - starting the jvm is just slow. You can
> solve that with nailgun (or something similar), which will let you use
> the nailgun binary as the interpreter (i.e. "#!/usr/bin/env/clojure"
> where clojure is a copy/symlink to the nailgun binary), but you have
> to remember to start the nailgun server.

You also have to remember that relative paths (including file names passed
to your script) will be interpreted relative to the Nailgun server, not the
user's working directory.  Recently, I spend more and more time just using a
clojure repl, rather than a proper shell.  Obviously, there are limitations
to that approach, e.g., sharing scripts with other (non-clojure) developers
becomes impractical.