The problem was elsewhere but I realized that Clojure has support for
futures at the level of the language even though it relies on
java.util.concurrent.

So I have this question. I have heard that Clojure's data structures
are immutable and it has support for promises, agents, atoms etc.

What exactly is meant by this ? Is it that all of these Clojure
language featues are based on java.util.concurrent ?

I am still learning FP and Clojure but I want to know if I am assuming
something totally wrong here. All of these language featues seem to
depend on java.util.concurrent.

What about STM ? Is that a new idea based on the same Java library ?