On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 21:41 -0700, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> It looks like Clojure 1.1.0 and the corresponding version of contrib
> were packaged for Debian. Is the fellow who packaged that still
> around? Are there any plans to package 1.2.1 and contrib 1.2.0?

Great to see some interest for Debian in the Clojure community. The Clojure
packages are maintained by the pkg-java-maintainers team [0] and in particular
by Peter Collingbourne and I agree that it would be nice to have 1.2.1/1.2.0
packaged in Debian.

The best way to speed this up is probably to either:

    * File a wishlist bug against clojure and clojure-contrib that informs the
      maintainer that a new version is available. Apparently the watch file is
      not working as the QA page [1] is not referring to the new version in
      the "todo" list.

      Unfortunately the bug filed after the 1.2.0 release [2] did not receive
any
      attention and it is unclear if anybody is actually working on this.

    * Upgrade clojure/clojure-contrib to the newer upstream versions and ask a
      member of the pkg-java team or Peter to sponsor it.

All that being said, I would love to see more contributers to Clojure
packaging in Debian and it might be a good idea to form a pkg-clojure team
that collaboratively packages Clojure related software. It might be a good
idea to start a discussion on the pkg-java mailing list about this.

I would be willing to help with this packaging and am interested in helping
with the leiningen packaging, which brings us to:

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 16:36 -0700, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> No, I am working on a Leiningen package and want an up-to-date .deb on
> which to depend.

That is great! The ITP for leiningen [3] is currently owned by Ramakrishnan
Muthukrishnan and I am not sure how far he got with his packaging so far. What
are the major problems you face right now and how far have you come?

Leiningen is a slightly more complicated package and it would probably be a
good idea to build several distinct binary packages from the source package.
(such as leiningen-bin, libclojure-leiningen, leiningen-el (emacs), ...). If
there is anything I can do to help (even if it is just coming up with a
watchfile based on [4]) just let me know.