Penumbra looks interesting.  Prior to heading there, I decided it
would be a good idea to take advantage of all the Processing examples
and see if I could dispell any concerns (Mainly because it packaged
jogl with the download and testing is as easy as clicking a button.
Very pleasant experience).  Any discovery could be pushed to penumbra
or picollo2d or whatever after working out some rudimentary
'understanding'.

Here's some code: https://gist.github.com/1008742

It's supposed to give the user a default view of the board (at an
angle, so that the opponents cards seem further away on the opposite
side - similar to the way most of your 3d chess games have looked).
Currently there is just one card, but imagine lots.  In the default
view the user should be able to mouse over a card and drag it about
the table.  If the user presses 'z' then the 'camera' zooms in (and
into a flat angle) and the user should be able to just pan around by
clicking and dragging.

So, my concerns seem to be valid.  I simply don't know how to do
proper transformations from...what are they called...viewport and
object space coordinates?  Is a wrapper over lwjgl going to fill that
knowledge gap?