From: clojure@googlegroups.com [mailto:clojure@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
hci
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:33 PM
To: Clojure
Subject: Re: New to Clojure

I was in the same boat last year. My experience with Clojure started
with Java interop, by writing Clojure code to solve some small
problems using existing Java libraries. For example, I used Clojure to
fetch and process application logs in a MySQL database and visualize
the results with a Java graph library. These experience got me into
productive mode quickly and became familiar with the syntax of the
language.

However, I was not transformed into a Clojure programmer by just doing
Java-interop because I was still thinking in Java way. It should be
noted that the Clojure way is very different from the Java way. A
transformation in thinking is necessary. I did the transformation by
studying the Joy of Clojure book and did programming exercise on
4clojure.com. The former showed me the Clojure way and I practiced
walking the way with the later. A good thing about 4clojure.com is
that there is an immediate feedback on how well one does. The code
either pass the unit tests or not. If it passes, one can see how short
their own code compared with others. In searching a shorter solution,
one often learns some functional tricks. Also, the site forces one to
work with core Clojure functions only, and the use of def is not
allowed.