It seems that when i get messages saying that "You tripped the alarm!
last is bad!" or "You tripped the alarm! nth is bad!",
I'm merely being told not to use last or nth as the candidate
solutions but instead to write my own functions that achieve
the same goal.  So the messages "last is bad!" or "nth is bad!"
probably just meant "last is forbidden!' or "nth is forbidden!".

My bad! Sorry ...