I have a sequence

(def mtr-seq ["a" 1 "b" 2 "c" 3 "d" 4])

and a function

(defn map-mtr
        [read-map premid reading]
        (conj :read-map {:premid reading}))

I do not understand how to select the first and second of the sequence
to be put into mtr-seq.

This  (map-mtr [mtr-map][(first mtr-seq)][(first (rest mtr-seq))])
fails with java.lang.ClassCastException: clojure.lang.Keyword cannot
be cast to clojure.lang.IPersistentCollection

In REPL I can select the first and second element with no problem.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
cmn