On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Brian Marick <mar...@exampler.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure yet how to navigate the transition to 1.3 while retaining
>> backwards compatibility.

At World Singles we moved to 1.3 pretty much as a matter of course,
mostly because I'm used to "planning for the future" and trying to
work with (b)leading edge builds. When I was at Macromedia, I pushed
hard for us to take prerelease versions of our own products live so
that we could get early real world feedback on them. Since then I've
always tried to work with the latest version of tools because that
brings both the best set of features as well as allowing more
influence and more input on tools - and the feedback is useful to the
projects.

The biggest problem has been 3rd party libraries being slower to move
to 1.3. I was pleased to see Chas Emerick's tweet about this recently,
because he's working hard to ensure all the libraries referenced in
his book are all up to date. At World Singles, we're using CongoMongo
and I approached that team and they were very open about changes to
enable it to run on 1.2 and 1.3. More recently we wanted to use
clojure-csv and, again, the folks behind that were keen to get
compatible with 1.3. Both libraries are working great for us on 1.3
now.

Overall, whilst there's clearly going to be a lot of churn getting
everyone up to 1.3, I think it's still early in Clojure's cycle and we
should all be a bit more aggressive about getting on to the latest
version.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/