On 12 Jul 2011, at 15:40, James Keats wrote:

My humble understanding is that macros complicate composability,
whereas monads facilitate it.

The composability issue with macros lies in writing them, not using them. Monads are all about composing computations with specific properties, where the monad abstracts away those properties. But I don't see any common point between macros and monads other than that both words start with 'm'.

One approach that has been proposed to improve composability of macros is to adopt a continuation-passing style. This would make macros a candidate for the continuation monad, so perhaps monads may be of use in implementing complex macros.

Konrad.