On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Joel Dice <joel.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I went ahead and pursued this.  The upshot is that I can get Avian to run a
> minimal Clojure script (containing just (println "hello, world!")) over
> twice as fast as Hotspot by precompiling clojure.jar to native code. These
> are the results on my 2.2GHz Xeon:

This is fascinating. I never would have guessed that a JVM capable of running
Clojure could be implemented in 50kLOC.

> Ultimately, though, I don't think this is enough of an improvement to make
> Clojure viable for short, quick scripts.  300ms is a long time for printing
> "hello, world".  I wonder how feasible it would be to make Clojure rely more
> heavily on lazy initialization so there isn't as much code to be run at
> startup for simple scripts.

For what it's worth, I believe work in this direction has been done in
1.3 with the
goal of improving Android performance, though it's unclear how thorough it
was and if there's much remaining that could be done.

I tried Leiningen on Avian and it caused Maven's dependency injection framework
to choke, which is not terribly surprising. Perhaps once we've ported it over
to Aether it will fare better.

-Phil