+1 to writing an etiquette document.  I have to confess I wrote a long
post a few weeks ago without realizing these sorts of posts belonged
on blogs (it was, oddly enough, another James Keats thread, on the
subject of Steve Yegge.  I figured if \Yegge writes long blogs....).
I didn't intend to ruffle any feathers there, but my opinion that some
things were not being given enough priority was taken as disrespecting
people's efforts so far.  But there seems to be some more attention to
documentation now and the newbie experience, so I'm happy (and trying
to help) = )

Ken was helpful to me then when he pointed out that my post was simply
too long.  I suspect this was much more useful to the forum than
someone partly reading the post and responding out of context.
Similarly, writing (hopefully gentle) admonishments about etiquette
might help steer things in the right direction.  If someone simply
responded with a few lines to this particular thread: "This is not the
kind of discussion this forum is for; it is also too late in the
process to be a constructive criticism", there might have been more
light and less heat.

Furthermore, if people want to offer etiquette pointers on the tone
and framing of a particular post, why not simply use the "reply to
author" link?  There's a quote from the New Testament that I can't
quite remember....wait.....thank you Google: "If thy brother shall
trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him
alone."

(I note, however, that this was presumably written before Facebook,
which makes privacy sound almost as quaint as King James and
Shakespeare.)

As for the subsequent part about "And if he neglect to hear the
cljurch, let him be as an troll to you" ((this is from the New
Internet Version)), I guess that would be equivalent to simply
ignoring him.

(If it said: "then ANN thou out upon him and the list that he be an
troll"----we would have a horse of a different color.)