James, your tone was unfortunate, but I do want do defend your
position *a little*.

Projects like ClojureScript (and CoffeeScript) -- and GWT and Vaadin
for that matter -- come from a certain anti-JavaScript attitude.
Though I sympathize, I would like to encourage all the JavaScript
haters to give JavaScript another chance. The C-syntax isn't great,
but the language itself shares with Lisps a minimalist core and the
ability to be truly multi-paradigm. If you like JS, you may find
yourself not *needing* something like ClojureScript, CoffeeScript,
etc.

(Although, James, the fact that you and I don't need or want it should
not cause us any disappointment with its existence! For die-hard JS
haters, ClojureScript is terrific.)

jQuery is not so much an elephant as it is a mammoth. It was one of
the first clientside-JS frameworks to reach a broad audience, but it
also one of the worst. It incorporates so many terrible JS practices,
performs miserably, and really can make anyone dislike JS. People have
mentioned other clientside frameworks. Let me mention also Ext JS,
which I believe knocks the socks off the rest. It is crafted with a
real appreciation of JS, and that love may rub off you a little as you
work with it.

And I'll also mention Prudence, which was announced on the list this
week:

http://threecrickets.com/prudence/

Prudence lets you mix both Clojure and JS (via Rhino) code on the
server, and also features good integration with Ext JS. It could be a
good platform for Clojure web development warriors to hone their JS
chops. (Disclosure: I'm the founder of Prudence.)

-Tal