On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Petr Gladkikh <petrg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Clojure *could* use reflection to do this...unless your object had a
>>> field named ff! It has to decide at compile time how to look up a
>>> field, and at that time it doesn't know your object won't have a .ff
>>> field, so it figures, sure, I'll set the ff field.
>>>
>>> If you really want to do this (hint: you don't), you can manually deal
>>> with the reflection that the compiler would generate, as Shantanu
>>> outlines.
>>
>> Could you elaborate on this? What would you use instead in this case?
>> My motivation is need to construct list of Java objects and I would
>> like to have some concise syntax to write them. So I decided to do
>> this with maps.
>> I wrote a function that acts as constructor. But long list of
>>
>> (set! (. obj :aa) (:aa props))
>> (set! (. obj :bb) (:bb props))
>> (set! (. obj :cc) (:cc props))
>> (set! (. obj :dd) (:dd props))
>>
>> looks not very lispy. Maybe I should use macros instead?
>
> Untested! But should give a general idea how to do this sort of thing:
>
> (defmacro defsetter [class keys]
>  (let [o (gensym)
>        p (gensym)]
>    `(defn ~(symbol (str "set-" (.toLowercase (str class))))
>       [~o ~p]
>       ~@(map
>           (fn [k]
>             `(set! (. ~o ~k) (~k ~p)))
>           keys))))
>
> (defsetter Foo [:a :b])
>
> (set-foo a-foo {:a 0 :b 42})
>
> (defsetter Bar [:x :y :z])
>
> (ser-bar a-bar {:x 4 :y 8 :z 15})
>
> --
> Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
> Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true
> hacker. Not as clumsy or random as C++; a language for a more
> civilized age.

I tried this since I have not used macroses for real problem so far.
And it actually works.
But I do not understand why it works.
I have class:
class Foo {
    public String s;
    public int v;
    public String toString()  { return "{" + s + "," + v + "}"; }
}

Then in Clojure:
 (defsetter abcde [:s :v])
 (let [afoo (actialpackage.Foo.)]
   (set-abcde afoo {:s "S" :v 42})
   (println afoo))

But at the moment  (defsetter abcde [:s :v]) is expanded nothing is
known about actual class.
So it is not clear to me why this works but giving field names at
runtime does not.

Can anyone clarify this?
Maybe this wokrs because in this case compiler can infer type of java
object at compile time?

--
Petr Gladkikh