I don't know about the clojure compiler.  But we've run into some
issues with the java compiler.  There are flags to inform it what file
encodings are being used in a file.  For example,

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/basic/intl/faq.jsp#set-default-locale

Java will make assumptions about output format based on your machine
too

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/basic/intl/faq.jsp#default-encoding

sorry this isn't really an answer, but it's evidence that you aren't
hallucinating anyway,

Kevin