On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Tal Liron <tal.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I just want to reassure y'all that I am working on this. It took a while to
> create a test environment: one of the challenges of using invokedynamic is
> that the Java language does not support it; so the best way to test right
> now is with ASM 4.0, which is still not officially released. Documentation
> on the opcode is also somewhat scattered, and mostly out of date, since
> JSR-292 has changed quite a bit until the final release. The JRuby folk are
> definitely at the cutting edge of this right (well, after all, JRuby's John
> Rose is the key mover and architect behind the JSR), and I'm trying to learn
> from their implementation. Right now I'm working on a code tree outside the
> main Clojure source, and once that seems to work, I will try to merge it
> into a branch.
>
> So, it's not *quite* as easy as I hoped, but I still think it will be much
> easier to use invokedynamic in Clojure than in JRuby.
>
> I'll keep the mailing list updated on my (slow) progress, and will
> definitely make the code public once it becomes ... presentable.

Just out of curiosity, what will this actually enable? Optimizations?
What can we expect might perform faster -- calling closures?
Functional function-calls such as map, reduce, etc.? Multimethods,
protocols, and things like that?

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true