Hm,

while I was just reading the source of the STM implementation in Ref.java
and LockingTransaction.java two new questions came up for me.

1. Is there any use of the msecs field in the inner TVal in Ref? I don't see
any and if it's not used anymore, at least two calls to
System.currentTimeMillis() could be removed (one in Ref, the other in
LockingTransaction).  As far as I undestand, that call is considered
expensive.

2. I found this post
http://dow.ngra.de/2008/10/27/when-systemcurrenttimemillis-is-too-slow/
rather interesting to read and I wonder, whether such a thing could be used
in bargeTimeElapsed() which is only interested in whether an interval has
passed or not, too.

Could this lead to a performance improvement?

Kind regards,
Stefan