I started on some work to use invokedynamic instructions (instead of
reflection) for calling Java interop. I based my work on 1.3beta2, and my
goal was just to see how much of a performance difference it could make (if
any).

So far all I have done is update the bundled ASM and modify Clojure to emit
Java7 class files, but I'm getting VerifyErrors (same as Tal). It's possible
that this is a bug in the way that ASM automatically calculates stack maps,
or perhaps it is the best that ASM can do, in which case the Clojure
compiler would have to be modified to do bookkeeping around stack maps.

I even tried moving to ASM trunk to see if it made any difference, but it
didn't.

Anyway, I pushed a couple of branches to my fork of Clojure:

https://github.com/pjstadig/clojure/tree/indy-3.3.2

and

https://github.com/pjstadig/clojure/tree/indy-trunk

Perhaps when ASM 4.0 is finalized it will be a different story.

Paul