On Fri Sep 16 10:24 2011, Raoul Duke wrote:
> hi,
>
> i dream of having a remote repl onto e.g. android so that i can try to
> reduce the write-push-run-test-debug-repeat cycle time. pretty please,
> does anybody have insights / experience / git hub forks / ideas about
> this? getting to a point where i can do code updates more easily, in
> fragments, would be so much better than the current molasses android
> developer situation, i gotta hopoe...

Well, this can and has been done.  There is a version of Clojure out
there that supports dynamic compilation on Android (based on a 1.2.0
release of Clojure) [1].  With this, it is possible to include some sort
of server on the Android device that can provide a REPL.  For example,
the Clojure REPL for Android supports a VimClojure-compatible server (no
source available, yet).  Due to how dynamic compilation occurs, it's
slow (a few seconds), but it sure beats having to do an entire
compile/deploy cycle.

As I will be talking about Android and Clojure at the Conj this year, I
will be making an effort to update the Clojure code to release 1.3 and
release the code to the REPL itself.

Sincerely,

Daniel Solano Gómez

[1]: https://github.com/sattvik/clojure/tree/android-1.2.x