The TorqueBox[1] team is toying with the idea of exposing to Clojure
the abstractions we currently expose to Ruby. We're looking for
feedback from you guys to see what you use now to solve these
problems, what you'd like to see in a possible Clojure "App Server",
and if you might actually use it.

If you're not familiar with TorqueBox: it's an application server for
Ruby apps, allowing you to run them on top of JBossAS[2]. But it goes
to great lengths to preserve the typical Ruby development experience,
e.g. no war files or XML.  In addition, it provides the following
"enterprisey" features to Ruby, built-in:

* asynchronous processing (with futures)
* scheduled jobs
* XA transactions
* companion services (daemons)
* distributed caching
* messaging (via JMS)

Coming from a Ruby background, all of the above were pain points for
us. Do these same pain points exist for Clojure apps?

TorqueBox also supports clustering, which allows load balancing of the
web component as well as cache distribution and horizontal scaling of
async tasks, scheduled jobs, and services. Clojure has built in async
processing and futures, but they use an in VM thread pool, correct?
How would you scale that?

A common TorqueBox idiom is to leverage Ruby in the web tier and Java
in the services/data tier. Are there any Ring-based frameworks that
make Clojure more appealing than Ruby in the web tier?

Or does integrating a Ruby web app with a colocated Clojure service
make more sense? It should be fairly easy to loosely couple them via
messaging.

Speaking of which, if you are using Clojure to process data generated
by other apps/languages, how is that data communicated? Would language
agnostic messaging be useful here?

How do you currently run production code (web apps or otherwise)?

We'd love to open a dialog about these and other things. Any feedback
you care to share is appreciated, either here, or in #torquebox on
Freenode. Toby Crawley and I will be in Raleigh for Clojure/conj as
well, so we look forward to meeting you there!

Thanks!

[1]: http://torquebox.org/
[2]: http://www.jboss.org/jbossas