Thanks Jonathan!  That's it exactly.  I had seen goog.net.cookies
(lowercase) and didn't realize it was an object on which to make the
set call.  I thought in was another namespace in which to make the
function call, thus I had been writing:

.. (:use [goog.net.cookies :as cookie]) ...

and was calling:

(cookie/set "name" content)

which is what was failing!

Thanks again.