Hi all,

This reply is to the thread, not Luc specifically.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and input.

I have pushed 3 commits:

1) Fixes the inconsistency between the hash function used by Clojure maps (was
.hashCode) and =. Thanks Paul for the report.

2) Changes core/hash to return the result of this hashing function. Thus, it
returns a different value than does .hashCode for Integers, Shorts, Bytes and
Clojure collections. Feedback welcome.

3) Only due to the first fix, it now becomes possible to box ints to Integers
without much grief. This commit implements that for evaluation purposes, and is
not a commitment to that policy. Note well that while in the first commit the
answer is clear, on this point there is always going to be a tradeoff and there
is no 'right' answer.

Here are the issues as I see them:

First, note there is no 'following' of Java semantics as an objective. Java
semantics are that Integers are never equal to Longs, and I presume no one
wants to go back to that.

Second, boxing is a change of type, period. There is no valid complaint that
'you changed my type'. int != Integer either.

Third, there are 2 scenarios in consuming things you box in Clojure from Java:

a) You control the Java. In this case, having Clojure make everything uniform
(Longs) make things easier for you. There is no heterogeneousness regardless of
the source or manipulation of numbers, and can always expect Longs.

b) You don't control the Java. In this case you must match consuming
expectations i.e. conforming to Java promotion, types of generics etc. ***This
will *always* require vigilance and explicitness due to arithmetic conversions
etc***. Auto promotion is only one part. Note that this is true in Java as well
- while type checker may scold you, you still have to cast/coerce on mismatch.

Even with the auto box change, you are only an arithmetic operation away from
having the problem again. For instance in the original report, wrapping
.getValue with dec generates an interop mismatch again:

(let [amap {1 (dec (.getValue obj))}] …)

There is no way we are going to 'fix' that by adopting Java's numeric tower,
which is dangerous and requires static types. The bottom line is specific type
requirements on the Java side require explicit boxing on order to have correct
and non-brittle code.

The final consideration is collection equality. When Clojure autoboxes to
Longs, you get homogeneous collection contents, and thus .equals is still true
for the collection on the Java side,  vs random - 'depends on where I got the
contents from and what I did with them'.

FYI - there are the RT/box functions that box as per Java. These could be
exposed in Clojure.

-----
In short, having autoboxing match Java does not really free you from your
responsibility to create specific boxed types when you need them on the Java
side. I.e., Clojure can't help you.

On the flip side, when you are in charge of the Java code, Clojure's being more
consistent makes things more consistent on the other side and *does* give you
less to do to make sure things work.

I prefer what we had (auto box to Longs), but I think it matters a somewhat
less now with = consistent hashing. If we decide to revert to that we can
discuss making auto boxing of short and byte consistent.
-----

In any case, those of you who still know how to use Clojure from Git can try
these commits, and please provide feedback as to its actual effects on actual
code. I think the opinion phase of this is now over :)

Thanks again for the feedback,

Rich

1)
https://github.com/clojure/clojure/commit/b5f5ba2e15dc2f20e14e05141f7de7c6a3d91179