>Although implementing Clojure-in-Clojure no doubt should be done, that
>does not make lein work on other platforms,

Very true. But what it does do is abstract away the core elements of
Clojure. ISeq, IPersistentList, PersistentList, etc. are all cross
platform. All you need is a "emit-class" function that understands how
to generate private members, methods, and handle inheritance. All of
the concurrency routines can be handled via classes and
CompareAndSwap. What I would love, is to be able to tell the Clojure
compiler "here is how you generate classes, here is how you call
CompareAndSwap....now go and build me classes found in Ref.java,
LockingTransaction.java, Atom.java, etc."

This is pretty much the way GNU Classpath works. You have to define
the lowest level structs (VMInt, VMObject, VMFile, VMSocket, etc.) and
from there every single part of the class library is simply Java
abstractions of those base classes.

Timothy

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM, dmiller <dmiller2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 10:07 am, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > With the clojureclr for example, it
>> > supports pretty much everything clojure does sans java, and gains all the
>> > .net interop.
>>
>> True...true, it supports it, but it's still a "2nd class citizen". For
>> instance, we don't have lein, ring, parts of contrib, IDEs, etc. All
>> the examples, all the books are all about Clojure on the JVM. Do
>> anything else and you can forget using Clojars, and 90% of the
>> ecosystem built around Clojure.
>>
>> Now, what should be done at some point (IMO) is to implement Clojure
>> in Clojure.
>
> Although implementing Clojure-in-Clojure no doubt should be done, that
> does not make lein work on other platforms, it does not create IDEs
> that are effective for other platforms (Visual Studio), it does not
> translate the contrib libs, etc.
>
> -David

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
that–lacking zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs.”
(Robert Firth)