I don't understand, the value of foo should be independent of the
values of its arguments, right?

To motivate the application better, I want to be able to do symbolic
computing on the boolean expression prior to passing it into sat, so I
don't know ahead of time the number of symbols in the expression, nor
the exact symbols used, nor the boolean expression itself.