On 31 December 2011 17:44, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I hadn't thought of the issue of the refs, but I don't think
> it's a exceptionally hard problem to solve.

It's not really possible to solve completely.

If I serialize, then deserialize an immutable data structure, then for
all intents and purposes I'm left with something equivalent to the
original.

If I serialize and deserialize a ref, then what I have is a completely
different ref that happens to contain the same data structure. I
cannot use this new ref as a substitute for the original, as I could
with a normal data structure.

This is not to say that serializing a ref is not useful, just that we
can't put it in the same category as a data structure. I'd like a way
to distinguish between data that can be serialized, like maps or
vectors, and data that can only be "sort-of" serialized, like refs.

- James