It could create interop problems with other JavaScript libraries (including
Google Closure). extending Object modifies its prototype. The problem is
that objects are used as maps in JavaScript and these new properties will
appear if someone tries to iterate through the keys with for..in.

It's unfortunate since this means we can't currently use js/Object to
provide default protocol implementations as we do in Clojure w/o fear of
conflicts with JavaScript libraries.

I'd be less worried about the other native types.

David