On Jan 15, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Matt Stump wrote:

> Ideally I would like to do something like the following: for production and
> development, if an environment variable is set connect to the database server
> at the specified URL, if not then fall back to localhost.  For test start up
> an embedded server, and connect. After the test is done, rollback the global
> var to the previous value and resume connecting to the server on localhost or
> at the location specified by the environment variable.

I created Midje's "background" wrappers for a similar purpose:

https://github.com/marick/Midje/wiki/Setup%2C-Teardown%2C-and-State

Note that you can mix and match Midje tests and clojure.test tests, even wrap
Midje tests inside deftest, so using `background` doesn't commit you to a
wholesale rewrite of existing tests.

-----
Brian Marick, Artisanal Labrador
Now working at http://path11.com
Contract programming in Ruby and Clojure
Occasional consulting on Agile