I know ZooKeeper may not be wholly part of Avout's future, but I just
remembered that one using zk may really much want to use it through Curator
to ease that a lot.

I'm not sure, but one of the highlights looks like Curator could be used to
allow embedding zk inside Avout, either directly (as a maven dependency) or
as a plugin. That would feel much better than depending on a separate,
manual installation of zk, isn't this right?

I suggest you take a look at the FAQ to see what else Curator provides, and
its rationale.

https://github.com/Netflix/curator/wiki/FAQ