On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 03:32 -0800, JuanManuel Gimeno Illa wrote:
> The source code of reduce is (I've marked in
> red the calls than I do not understand).

Please keep in mind that some mail readers are viewing the plain text
part, so can't see HTML markup, especially among an audience likely to
be using exotic mail readers.

> (def
>     reduce
>      (fn r

First, this is a bootstrapping reduce.  Normally:

>        ([f coll]
>              (let [s (seq coll)]

You could put a `loop' right here, but the implementation of `loop'
itself uses reduce!  (This has since been changed in core.clj to rename
this reduce to a private "reduce1" so its status is clearer.)

You could use the bootstrapping loop, but...ugh.

With a loop over s here:

>                (if s
>                  (r f (first s) (next s))

and a `recur' here, you would avoid that extra seq.

And the second `seq' follows the fast path out, so is not much worth
worrying about.

> (next s) == (seq (rest s))

They are semantically equivalent, but implementers of ISeq may provide
implementations with different performance characteristics.

> Could the same recur call be done using rest?

Yes.

> What is more idiomatic?

Use `next' when you are definitely about to force it with `seq',
`empty?', or something anyway, `rest' otherwise.  `reduce' qualifies for
the former.

--
Stephen Compall
^aCollection allSatisfy: [:each|aCondition]: less is better