>From watching the presentation, it seems to include (but not be limited
to!) the some of the good parts of Prevayler and CouchDB, so anyone
familiar with those will find the Datomic concept familiar, too.

Prevayler (www.prevayler.org) was announced on Slashdot in 2003 (!) and
they basically made the point that RAM had gotten cheap enough to keep most
"working data" in RAM that you could have your data just be POJOs and run
your queries on in RAM using some in-language query mechanism that runs on
the object graph. Near the start of the above presentation Rich talks about
"hardware and architectures have changed substantially" which is what this
is talking about. BTW, even back then before "NoSQL" became a meme this
unmasked some of the SQL fanbois who saw their consulting revenues in
jeopardy. :)
Prevayler asks you to express all your changes to the object graph in
transactions reified as Java objects, there called 'commands' from what I
remember, and pass them through this bottleneck that serializes them to
disk. This is similar to the "transactor" that Datomic seems to have. On
the disk side of things, Prevayler would use a "logging and snapshot"
combination that was a known design pattern before (
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-objprev/) but popularized by
Prevayler.

CouchDB exists since 2005 or so and offers the following concepts similar
to Datomic: Replication across peers, except CouchDB also persists to disk
on peers. The "receive queue of transactions that can be filtered" and
"reactive, no polling" application design that Datomic offers its peers is
similar to the CouchDB _changes stream of updates. CouchDB can filter
_changes server-side to reduce load on the network, not sure Datomic can do
that. CouchDB also implements the "add facts, don't change data in place"
idea by keeping revisions of the data structures.

All in all very exciting to see this confluence of ideas.

-- hank