On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:
> However documenting everywhere that feeding garbage in might result in shit
> coming out has this “things in the mirror might be closer than they appear”
> taste. WTF? The mirror is not the problem. Nor is the car manufacturer to be
> held responsible. If the driver of a car causes an accident, it's her fault.
> *She* is responsible. No one else.

If the driver is unaware that what they see in the mirror is
distorted, the driver will assume it is not. A driver who has been
supplied incomplete information about the operation of their vehicle
can not reasonably be held fully responsible, which is why we have so
many warning labels.

Documentation for programming languages should take the same approach.
If any input other than what is specified will lead to undefined
results, that needs to be documented. Otherwise, someone will feed in
invalid input, get what looks like valid output, and assume that the
documentation is out of date, incomplete, or something equally inane,
and continue to misuse the feature. You can never underestimate the
power of ignorance, no matter a person's creed, intelligence,
lifestyle, or profession. If invalid input will not throw an error
immediately, then it DOES need to be documented that invalid input
will result in undefined output.

~Justin