> First of all, one only has to police unauthorized use of the
> trademark. One can authorize its use under particular circumstances,
> and then those uses don't need to be policed to avoid losing the
> trademark.

That's at the heart of trademark law. A trademark is a form of "Proof of
origin". If you see Mickey Mouse in a movie, you can assume it's Disney.
This is why you can lose trademarks. If you let people use it for whatever
they want then it's not a proof of origin any more.

> Second, trademark law only covers "use in commerce". Use on a personal
> webpage would not be covered, and would not have to be policed or risk
> losing the mark. Use on a commercial site (which might be broadly
> inclusive of, for instance, pages with revenue-generating ads) might
> be another matter, if it's seen as implying an endorsement or a claim
> to be the product/service the mark names. But...

No you can't. That leads to trademark dilution.

> Third, use of the mark in a purely factual manner is not, to my
> knowledge, governed by law. So, a store needn't negotiate a license
> with Coca Cola Inc. to say they have Coca Cola for sale, at least as
> long as they aren't lying. Saying a site is powered by X, when it
> really is powered by X, may fall under the same rule, given that
> there's no implication that the site *is* X or is endorsed by X.

It is actually the purpose of the law. If you see the Coca Cola logo in a
store, you can expect genuine Coca Cola.