On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Larry Travis <tra...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> user=> (time (dotimes [i 10] (average1 mill-float-numbs)))
> "Elapsed time: 526.674 msecs"
>
> user=> (time (dotimes [i 10] (average2 mill-float-numbs)))
> "Elapsed time: 646.608 msecs"
>
> user=> (time (dotimes [i 10] (average3 mill-float-numbs)))
> "Elapsed time: 405.484 msecs"
>
> user=> (time (dotimes [i 10] (average4 mill-float-numbs)))
> "Elapsed time: 394.31 msecs"

I can understand the first one being "slow" but I'm a bit surprised
about the loop being the slowest of the four options. Can someone shed
some light on that?

Nice to see the accumulating reduce being faster since that's how I've
settled in to solving this kind of problem in our code, without really
wondering about performance (it's "fast enough" and I think it's the
more elegant solution).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."