Hi Patrick,

I'm the potential mentor for the GSoC Cassowary project.
The goal isn't to port Cassowary---it's already implemented in Java
and available in the browser via my CoffeeScript port with
ClojureScript bindings:

    https://github.com/lynaghk/cassowary-coffee

Rather, the aim of the summer project is to put a higher-level,
idiomatic Clojure API on top of Cassowary (and possibly a DSL like
Cocoa's Autolayout: "[el]--10--[el2]") that folks can use to layout
complex visualizations and user interfaces.

That said, I appreciate the pointer to Garnet; I've heard about it,
but not dug into it much at all.
One of my favorite things about the Clojure community is the
appreciation for history.
I have no illusions of doing anything novel.
I'd be happy if the GSoC project makes 1990s-state-of-the-art more
accessible, similar to how core.logic introduced so many folks to
logic programming even though Prolog has been around for ages.