2012/4/9 rogerdpack <rogerpack2...@gmail.com>

> So I guess my question is "is this all the overhead I'm likely to
> encounter" for startup times for projects in clojure?  For large
> projects, what are typical load times?  Just trying to figure out if
> clojure would work for my next project

An app that has dozens (40-50, not sure) of namespaces, 15-20 dependencies
(almost none of which are AOT-compiled) a few bits in Java, a little bit of
configuration in
Clojure and relatively straightforward initialization process (4 TCP
connections, next to no other init code to run), lein2 run [args] takes

5.80s user 0.46s system 33% cpu 16.970 total

If you compile everything into a single JAR and run that, it goes down to ~
4 seconds. Not sure if this qualifies for "medium size project".

A small application (< 10 namespaces, < 10 dependencies) takes 6.750 total
uncompiled.

These are highly unscientific numbers, all of this is with JDK 7 (build
1.7.0_04-ea-b17) on OS X Lion with a 2 year MacBook Pro with an SSD.

As for development, if you use Emacs with clojure-swank and SLIME, running
a single test or all tests in a namespaces is pretty
much instantenous.
--
MK