I've read in some recent posts that Clorujians prefer data to APIs.  I'm
not sure I understand what this means, in practice.  When I'm in the early
stages of developing an application, the data structures undergo a great
deal of change.  One of the ways, I isolate parts of the code from these
sorts of changes is by writing accessor functions.  Maybe this is OO
thinking but it seems to me a wise application of DRY.

Would these accessor functions be considered an API?  If so, why should I
prefer accessing the raw data structure?  If not, what is constitutes an
API?