On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM, toan <kidn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been trying to learn clojure for a while. I've read the clojure
> section of "seven languages..." and currently trying to get through
> "joy of clojure." I've been practicing with the prompt a bit and
> trying to learn emacs that came with "clojurebox."

The clojure part of "seven languages" isn't very idiomatic.

Try Programming Clojure 2n Edition by Stuart Halloway, I think it's the
best learning book.

And clojurebox is quite outdated give a try to lein and the clooj editor.

I have 2 questions, 1. does anyone have advice on getting somewhat
> competent for a newb? (alternatively, how did you get good?)

Code until it "clicks", then progress gets much faster.

> 2. if i
> have no interest in java, should a learn at least some fundamentals?
> would that be helpful?

Try reading some javadoc and see if it makes sense to you. Learning Java
isn't critical to start but eventually, you'll want to use Java libraries
and then it's best to have some basics.