Not directly clojure related - but input needed

I have master
I have mybranch

I have a bunch of commits on mybranch.

I can create an attributed patch with "git format-patch master". This
includes all commits on the branch, including merges and updates from
master.
I can create an unattributed but more concise diff with "git diff master".

I don't think that all of the commits on mybranch are particularly relevant
- more steps on the way to the solution - only the final diff really
matters.

Questions:

- is it preferred to have all commits from a branch?
  - even if it makes the patch harder to follow?
- if a diff is preferred - how do you create one that is attributed?

Thanks in advance

Dave