On Jun 17, 2012, at 7:23 PM, Peter Buckley wrote:
> I know mac products are designed for non-technical people and leave out most
> common options, but can't they do something so simple and 1980's-esque as
> filter on a field other than subject?
>
> I've been using gmail and have had a rule for the clojure group since I
> signed up. I expect most other folks are likewise all set. No need to
> inconvenience the N>>1 people who chose to use superior technology.

I sent my first email 35 years ago. I know about filtering into folders. I find
it suboptimal for mailing lists I want to follow closely.

I'm annoyed that you say filtering into folders is "superior". It's a choice
you make, a choice that is not prevented by a subject-line tag that helps
people who make a different choice. If you're reading with gmail folders, your
objection to the proposed change is aesthetic. My objection to the current
change is functional. In something as mundane as email, I privilege the
functional over the aesthetic.

The complaint about reading the mailing list on phones is valid. I do wonder
how many people use phones as their main, workaday interface, and how much an
extra inconvenience 9 characters is when they're already trying to view the
world through a keyhole.

-----
Brian Marick, Artisanal Labrador
Now working at http://path11.com
Contract programming in Ruby and Clojure
Occasional consulting on Agile