I actually hadn't thought of this use case, but I was asked if this was
possible. In version 0.6.0 which I just pushed (clj-yaml emits seqs when it
gets yaml vectors, which the change corrects for), you can access values in
config like this:

dev:
  fou:
    - barre:
        - mary: "8-)"
          fred: ":-|"
        - mary: "*_*"
          fred: "-__-"
    - barre:

using the same idiomatic "*-in" convention already being used, e.g.:

(config/value :fou 0 :barre 1 :mary)

Here is how it is expressed using the command-line-override feature:

myprogram dev --fou.0.barre.1.mary ":D"